I haven’t written a post specifically for a blog carnival before – but I’m a firm believer in trying something new. Also, I have learned a lot from the RA Warrior website, so I’d like to contribute back!
The topic is non-medical pain relief. I guess it goes without saying that we all take a bunch of medications to ease our pain. With varying degrees of success. Otherwise we wouldn’t need some of the things I am listing below. These are my top 7.
7. Icy gel. Sometimes when my joints are burning hot, this stuff is the best thing ever! It’s quick and easy to apply…my only gripe is that it doesn’t last long enough. Oh and it smells a bit. Mmmmmm….menthol! Not gonna work if you’ve got company for dinner, but any other time, rub it in liberally!
6. Heat rub. This stuff has capsaicin in it. So it doesn’t smell like a gym locker room, but it does get HOT! In fact, sometimes too hot. The problem with this cream is that a little goes a long way, and very it’s easy to over do it. It also lasts for days…and gets re-activated with heat. So it’s a surprise package…sometimes a day and a half after applying it, it will heat up again after a hot shower. But it works a treat for the most part. Highly recommended because it doesn’t smell bad…advise caution though because it lasts and lasts and lasts. And once it’s on your skin, there’s no way to cool it down. There is also evidence to show that capsaicin actually works to reduce pain via the nervous system – it’s not just topical relief. But that’s another post.
5. Bath. I don’t have a bath at the moment. But this is the bathtub in the house that I’m moving into soon. It’s huge. I’m rather a large person…this is going to be bliss! I look forward to being able to soak my whole body, all at once, in this massive tub. I might still have to bend myself into an ‘L’ shape…but that’s OK!
4. Shower! When I’m feeling really lousy, but I have to go out somewhere, say to pick up the kids from school, or grab some food for dinner, there’s nothing so rejuvenating as a hot shower. Ease away the aches, at least while you’re standing under it. I usually drag myself out of bed in the mornings, slurp down a strong coffee…but the shower completes my transition to (semi) functioning human being.
3. Heat packs. I use these ALL the time. Most of the time my joints want heat…to soothe that deep, gnawing ache. I mostly use wheat bags. I take them with me when I go to friend’s houses…and when I go on holiday there must be a microwave so that I can heat up these babies. My best friends!
1. The number one non-medical thing that eases your pain is…someone who loves you. Really loves you. Someone who will get your heat packs or icy gel, without complaint. Someone who will hug you if you can stand to be hugged…or tell you that they want to hug you are too tender to be hugged. Someone who will get you a glass of water, or a glass of wine if that’s what helps. Someone who will listen to you talk about your pain, to help you cope with it. Most of all, someone who is prepared to just sit next to you. And stay.
Those are my top 7. Unfortunately I don’t have No. 1 at the moment. But I live in hope.
I look forward to reading and learning from everyone else in the blog carnival! And thankyou RA Warrior.